On Thu, 03 Jul 2008, Matej Knopp wrote:
> I'm gonna be -1 on removing model utility methods and default model
> slot from component until you suggest a clean and transparent way to
> support
> - compound (inherited) models
> - component assigned models
> - automatic detachment

Fair enough, let's see what we can come up with :)

I was thinking that most of that stuff could be achieved by
moving more logic to the model classes. Some things such as
the add(new Label("name")); for
CompoundPropertyModel-component children could be tricky to
get working though.

Anyway, I agree that now our focus must be on getting 1.4
out of the door -- the reason this came up was just that I
was thinking out loud whether the plans for 1.5 have
implications on what to add in 1.4.

Automatic detachment for all IModel fields of a component
would be great (and the easiest to do of those I suppose).

> From component where? ComponentUtil? Component has a very strong and
> complicated contract. There are lot of methods in component, but there
> are reasons for it. There are parts like rendering though that might
> need to be cleaned up.

Definitely not to a utility class with static methods :)
Maybe some of the responsibilities can be moved to different
other classes, such as ComponentTag and MarkupStream. But
let's see that when working on 1.5.

Best wishes,
Timo

--