The problem of breaking encapsulation:

I did some work on this problem on my own a few months ago, my solution was
to use a header contrib manager, and instead of adding files with a header
contributer i add them to the manager, then get a single contributer per
page from the manger.

for example in a panel you would do

@Override
        protected void onBeforeRender() {
                super.onBeforeRender();
                ResourceReference rr = new ResourceReference(getClass(),
"test.js");
                WicketApplication.get().getHcm().add(rr, getPage().getClass());
        }

See how it uses getPage().getClass(), so the manager knows which class the
panel is being added into

then in the main page class

     @Override
    protected void onBeforeRender() {
        super.onBeforeRender();

        add(WicketApplication.get().getHcm().getHeaderContributor(getClass()));
    }

since the manager knows all of the resources added for the page at this
point, it is easy to compress them all together and serve a single file, and
you dont have to list the files up front.

What do you think of this idea?

My code is here:
http://www.nabble.com/file/p19279269/HeaderContribManagerTest.zip
HeaderContribManagerTest.zip

It still has bugs etc in it, and doesnt really work cos ive messed up the
registerResource method, but you should be able to get the idea from it

Richard

-----
http://www.richard-wilkinson.co.uk My blog:
http://www.richard-wilkinson.co.uk