Just a little update, I managed to get the form level validator working by
doing what you said, basically creating a validator that takes a component
as an argument, and compares the ivalidatable.value against the model
object:

                 protected void onValidate(IValidatable validatable) {

if(!validatable.getValue().toString().equals(component.getModelObjectAsString()))
                        error(validatable);
        }

Unfortunately the getResetPassword is a final method for some reason, so I
was not able to override it as I hoped. Instead I did this on the ajaxbutton
used to submit the form:

                                 protected void onAfterRender() {
                                super.onAfterRender();
                                pass.setResetPassword(false);
                        }

                        protected void onBeforeRender() {
                                super.onBeforeRender();
                                pass.setResetPassword(true);
                        }

And that seemed to work for the password fields. Thanks for your help!