On 20-Mar-09, at 11:51 AM, Martijn Dashorst wrote:

I don't want that. If someone is anal about what maven is expecting,
then it is their problem. I am in the business of making the best
wicket development experience, from a Wicket perspective. We're using
maven as a tool, we're not in the business of supplying maven with new
users.

I'm using Wicket as a tool as well, there is no difference in the semantics and Maven is not in the business of supplying Wicket with new users, so what exactly is your point in the above paragraph?

Putting all resources that belong to a component in the same physical
folder as the component .java file is a best practice for Wicket
users, even newbies. Doing it in any other way is opening the door to
the nine hells of Maven usage and resource location.

I don't disagree that its a useful pattern, however what are "the nine hells of Maven usage and resource location"? The whole point of src/ main/resoruces is that you always know where the resources are! Like I said, there is no reason to get upset about it, I don't use the archetype because I don't want it to do all the extra stuff it does, that I then have to clean up.

In fact there have been several instances where having the resources and java separate has been helpful to me and the folks I work with. If an example is needed, the case were the HTML must be delivered to non programmers and then reintegrated is a good one. Most of us don't work alone and the fact of the matter is that you very often have different people that have to work separately on the same project. Having the separate folders for the parts made that situation easy to handle.

It really doesn't matter much in a modern development environment like Eclipse... the view to the project is that they are in the same place, because they are in the same package. Even the Wicket Bench plugin (when it worked) didn't care if they were physically separated in the filesystem.

I really don't want the archetype to do anything else than it
currently does, nor document such a way. The Official Wicket Way (tm)
is to put all source files relating to a single unit of work in one
package, in the same physical folder. If you decide to do it
otherwise, it is not The Official Wicket Way. Feel free to disagree,
but do it somewhere else, and in your own private projects.

Cut the crap Martijin. What kind of a silly thing is that to say?
Times and technology change... how are the users of wicket going to decide how it should be changed to make it better unless they can talk about it, or even argue about it? I have the right to discuss or argue a point in the public user list, and in the spirit that this software is developed and released, even if you don't like it.

Now,  lets be clear in what I have said:
- At no point did I ask that it be changed. If I had there would be an issue in Jira to go with it. - I did say that I didn't want to use it that way and thought the way it worked was backward (and took longer to fix than it was worth). - I said I though the default should be the other way, and that the archetype could do with the option to do the maven standard thing or the wicket thing.
- I also said that my statements where my opinion.
- and i said that I did not think that having the html and source in the same physical place was necessarily wrong and that it is a useful pattern that i use myself.

- Brill