Ok, I fixed my problem. I should say I patched it! And it is pretty ugly....

The problem is from the fact that on the client side the ajax "get" URI is
encoded from as utf-8. But the default Tomcat's URIEncoding is ISO-8859-1
and for me it is something I cannot change.
So when Tomcat is receiving the request it try to decode the parameters as
if they are ISO-8859-1 and the result is not what is expected.
If I look at the request.getQueryString, the encoding is fine but not with
getParameter(String).

So my patch is to convert the ISO-8859-1 string to UTF-8 inside my
"getChoices" method:
*input = new String(input.getBytes("ISO-8859-1"),"UTF-8");*

It is a patch but at least it is working fine now.

Any better idea?

Thierry