Good news:
http://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine-java/msg/f50bbb131dc524c1

<quote>
"HttpSessions will work out of the box if you enable them in your
appengine-web.xml.

We do not guarantee that all requests for the same session go to the same
JVM, but persistence of sessions is managed behind the scenes with the
datastore and memcache.

You are, of course, free to use the memcache and/or datastore API's directly
if you want more control. "
</quote>

Maarten