Yeah - I was considering using JRex [1] as an embedded browser, and
basically making a simple Swing app that loads up, starts an embedded
Jetty instance, has a window that loads the homepage of the local app
running within Jetty, and viola - instant desktop app using Wicket!
Probably not as simple as it sounds, but it's a thought.  At least I
wouldn't have to worry about cross-browser CSS hacks :)

I will probably try a full-fledged Swing app using one or more of the
suggestions here... perhaps with Spring Rich Client, which can provide
a lot of the bootstrap code.  Glazed lists looks like a definite
must-have.  JavaFX looks nice, but I don't think I'm really in to
learning that many new things all on one project.  So I'll probably
stay away from JavaFX for this first project, unless someone with
JavaFX experience convinces me otherwise.

[1] - http://jrex.mozdev.org/index.html

--
Jeremy Thomerson
http://www.wickettraining.com