JDev is not a bad IDE actually. If you want a lot of ready to use
integrated functionality then its by far better than any of the
earlier mentioned IDE's (especially if you use e.g. bc4j, soa, adf
etc) - this is true as long as you need the oracle taste that is.

For pure java programming the other IDE's are a lot more pleasant to
use (especially with non-oracle open-source frameworks like wicket,
spring, seam etc). I've done projects in both JDeveloper and the other
IDE's, and they all get the job done. :) And you're right I guess, for
non-java people JDeveloper is easier to start with I think...