>From the ajax perspective it should be possible to submit any dom element
with its descendants. I believe it is exactly what Wicket ajax submit is
doing. IMO forms needed just for regular form submit.

We just need to change an implementation to accept a list of dom elements
instead of just one.

I don't have an opinion about reasons to handle partial form submitting
lifecycle on the server side.