The people at my office handling translations are using a simple UTF-8
capable editor (that can be Eclipse for instance) and there is no need
to escape anything when you use UTF-8 in the properties files. That's
much more comfortable when working with arabic or chinese, because
people can read without unescaping, and they can also use a diff tool.

The point I was raising is that when working on a Tapestry
application, people at my office are used to have a simple property
format, and you can do this because they made a wrapper around native
Java Properties that can handle UTF-8 in properties file. When I
switched to Wicket and XML properties files, they complained that it
was much more verbose for no gain. And I don't have any objections to
this statement.

Doing the same thing with Wicket should be easy, basically it should
consists of changing the method :

PropertiesFilePropertiesLoader.loadProperties(BufferedInputStream in)

defined in PropertiesFactory class to *not* use Java Properties
directly but instead fill a new Property object from an InputStream.
And the InputStream should honor the application encoding set in the
Application settings, which in our case is UTF-8.

And you return Properties like before. That's it.

See :

http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry4/tapestry/apidocs/org/apache/tapestry/util/text/LocalizedProperties.html