Fernando:

I thought that's what I was doing by overriding the newRecorderComponent method. Is that not correct?

I made a change to the code (see below) and now it's storing Categories in Documents, but: 1) it's always the first Cat in the list of choices that gets set into a Doc no matter which Cat I choose 2) when reselecting a given Doc, it still has Cats but they don't reflect in the Palette choices

@Override
protected void onUpdate( AjaxRequestTarget ajaxRequestTarget)
{
selectedDocumentModel.getObject().addCategory((Category) recorder.getSelectedChoices().next());