I've just finished up my first Wicket + ORM project. I knew nothing
about ORM when I started, so I decided to go with Hibernate since it
seems to be the most commonly used. It was both painful and
educational.

My only suggestion is to suck it up and put in the effort it will take
to learn it. I'm by no means an expert at it (and trying to figure out
the complicated bits still makes me want to scream), but it works and
I can see that learning it well would save me a lot of time and effort
in larger projects in the future.

Dane