I have used ColdFusion in the past for 2 different clients both using CFM pages
with the markup and queries in the pages.  Luckily at the end of the projects I
knew I was done with them and moving on to something else.  The 1st project I
created from scratch so it was manageable at the start but by the end with
multiple developers was a mess.  It wasn't difficult to learn but all the <cf>
tags are a pain and as someone else said the IDEs didn’t like them at the time
except for Homesite.  The 2nd project was inherited code and it was a mess.
The 2nd time at least Eclipse had a CFM plugin that helps editing the files.

Basically the same pain points raised by Ben.

I would say if you are a wicket/java junkie then you will not like CF unless
they are using one of the modern frameworks and even then it may not be
enjoyable but tolerable if landing a job is the main concern.

Good Luck.