Bingo!! I've been hitting this wall, and pulling my hair out-- in fact I may ditch jQuery for this very reason since I can't find a suitable workaround :-(

Martin Makundi wrote:
... and expect trouble with ajaxifying jquery plugins that skin html
components. They will not work properly if you replace your components
via ajax - or at least you might have to work hard on it.

**
Marin