Then you might want to use a resourcestream ?

Something like:

            IResourceStream resourceStream = new AttachmentResourceStream(
                new ByteArrayInputStream(item.getModelObject().getFile()));
            getRequestCycle().setRequestTarget(
                new ResourceStreamRequestTarget(resourceStream) {
                  @Override
                  public String getFileName() {
                    return item.getModelObject().getName();
                  }
                });

  static class AttachmentResourceStream extends AbstractResourceStream {
    private InputStream attachment;

    /**
     * @param attachment
     */
    AttachmentResourceStream(InputStream attachment) {
      this.attachment = attachment;
    }

    /**
     * @see org.apache.wicket.util.resource.IResourceStream#close()
     */
    @Override
      attachment.close();
    }

    /**
     * @see org.apache.wicket.util.resource.IResourceStream#getInputStream()
     */
    @Override
    public InputStream getInputStream() throws ResourceStreamNotFoundException {
      return attachment;

**
Martin