in 1.4.9 it worked because we did not take visibility of children into
account. eg an invisible multipart component would make the form
multipart as well. this was inconsistent so it was fixed.

as far as automatic detection - i think in this case it happens during
an ajax update and going from non-multipart to multipart would require
the form tag to be updated to add the encoding. if axl updated the
formtag via ajax then everything would work, but i dont think it is
the case.

-igor