I would reverse the question and ask: why was wicket broken into multiple packages in the first place? I assume there are use cases where:

- someone would need only the content of wicket-core and none of the extras
- someone would need only wicket-core + wicket-request
- someone would need only wicket-core + wicket-util
- ...

I suppose the above scenarios actually were needed and that lead to the split. If there is no practical use in having Wicket broken into multiple packages, then why do it in the first place?

In any case, since I assume there is a reason for the split, I'd say that the same use-cases that apply in a non-osgi environment, also apply for the OSGi case. Projects that only need wicket-core should load only that and nothing else. Other than being "leightweight" for such cases, I don't see a reason why an "uber-jar" won't work.

Now, assuming that this split is what the community and the developers want, it should be offered for both non-OSGi as well as OSGi environments. This means that we simply need to make sure there is at least one package that is unique per bundle and instruct OSGi people to do package-based imports using the non-common packages.

For example, in Daniele's case, the package used in "org.apache.wicket.request". However this exists in both the wicket-core and wicket-request bundles, causing the problem. A different package should be used.

@Daniele: try importing "org.apache.wicket.request.flow", which only exists in "wicket-request". This should get you the correct bundle, without having to modify the distribution. Alternatively, you can import specific bundles rather than packages.

Having said that, for what it's worth, I agree with Daniele that since this is a major release, it is a golden opportunity to do some OSGi-friendly package-renaming.