If you want to speedup thing, you should trigger some model loading as early as
possible.. (It is too late, if a component calls IModel.getObject() (should
return the right value)). Because wicket uses one thread per request you must
use an other thread for loading.

This way you could speedup a pageload for one user..  but not for more than one
(you have to load it anyway) .. there is a good chance to make it worse. I
think you choose a threaded model loading if most other options failed (use a
cache, change the query, ...)

Mm:)