On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 6:58 AM, Илья Нарыжный <phan...@ydn.ru> wrote:

> Andrea,
>
> We would be happy to help with:
> 1) Translation of any articles/slides to russian and posting that on famous
> russian IT resources. If you have any articles even right now which worst
> to be translated: please send them to me.

2) A long with articles about Orienteer we can after switch to Wicket 8
> write some "lesson learned" about Wicket

It would be great! If you have some time to spare, you can pick one of my
published article to translate it: https://dzone.com/users/
748823/bitstorm.html

3) Performance: OMG, wickets performance is unbelievable. One company tried
> to test performance of our application (which powered by Wicket): finally
> they encountered into application server connection pool size, but response
> time was almost the same (around 15% less). Test was on 350 concurrent
> users with requests every second. That was amazing:)  30-70ms per page. So,
> I deviated: we have in mind to write article just about wicket performance.

Me and Martin (and maybe someone else?) have contributed to TechEmpower
Framework Benchmarks (http://frameworkbenchmarks.readthedocs.io/en/latest/)
to improve Wicket code and performance. They have recently closed my PR (
https://github.com/TechEmpower/FrameworkBenchmarks/pull/2929) which should
bring a notable improvement.

> More ideas:
> 1) T-Shirts. Just make design and allow people to order from printing
> company. Key point here: quality of the T-shirt.
> 2) Hackathons. If it will be nearby: will be happy to participate and help
> with sponsors.
> 3) More "Try-Me" demo sites. In era of Docker you can build even gallery of
> different open source apps which use wicket and make it available
> on-demand.

4) More articles with comparison: Wicket vs Vaadin, Backend or
> Frontend/Wicket vs Angular JS, vs JSF, Tapestry, Spring, etc.
>
> Guys, wicket has one extremely cool feature, which nobody else have: for
> 80% of needed technical features you can use either Wicket OOB or some
> library from the ecosystem, but (!!!) if you need something from the
> remaining 20% - wicket allow to do that for you! You can go as deep as you
> want/need: need to rearrange dynamically HTML elements? - no problem! Need
> to replace your textarea by some cool IDE on JavaScript? - easy! Need to
> receive client side errors and log them on server side? -  Just a little
> bit more of code:)
>
> One more observation: modern front-end libs are repeating some parts of
> wicket architecture/concept. You can find it in Angular, Vue, React and
> etc. But all frontend libs has big disadvantage which can not be fixed:
> security. It's impossible to enforce security just be frontend lib, you
> have to go to backend for that.

Obviously I 101% agree :-). In addition to security issue I usually have to
struggle against the "big lie" of modern front-end libs which is "if you
follow us your application can be stateless". Non-trivial applications are
never stateless. If you have some sort of login mechanism you application
must handle a state somewhere! I've always seen these "modern" js
applications suffering of performance issues because they have
unconsciously  moved state to database and they end up over-stressing it
because they want the application level to be "stateless". That's pure
madness to me!