Hi,

Wicket is designed with support for multiple tabs in mind.
Every project I've worked on used this feature intensively.

showing the same page (albeit different record) in different browser tabs
definitely is the design he's pushing for.

Sure, no problem with that. I didn't want to scare you :P

As you know Wicket is a stateful server-side framework. For each rendered page
its state has to remain on the server.
Wicket holds a configurable count of old pages around for back-button support.
Switching between tabs and working on them alternatively is effectively like
returning back to previous pages.

And what would be the consequences of it being expelled?

If the page is bookmarkable, you'll just get served a new instance. If not (or
this feature is turned in PageSettings#recreateBookmarkablePagesAfterExpiry)
then you'll get the infamous PageExpiredErrorPage.

Have fun
Sven