Hi Trevor,

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 4:14 PM, Trevor <tr.w...@telus.net> wrote:

> Hello. Please let me know if I'm using the wrong mailing list.
>
> I am currently evaluating XWiki (along with several other wikis) for use
> within our small development team. We will be sharing the wiki with clients
> as well, so we have several criteria that MUST be met:
>
> 1. WYSIWYG editing

Brand new WYSIWYG editor.

> 2. Clean interface, small learning curve

We've got a great new skin / user interface on the way that's even better
than the current one.

> 3. Fine-grained user access to pages

Check.

> 4. Security (the wiki will be on a server exposed to the internet, but will
> be private)

Check (I'll let someone else answer more extensively).

5. Good support base

See below.

In trying out XWiki Enterprise and looking through the documentation I think
> it meets these requirements (definitely 1-3).
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1. We will want to segregate the clients from each other (ie. they won't be
> aware of each other), but our development team would need one-login access
> to all content, across clients. ie. if a developer logs in, they would have
> access to all content; if client A logs in, they would only see client A's
> content, etc. Am I understanding correctly that with User Groups and proper
> ACL we could achieve this?

You could definitely do it. There might be one issue: if you use only one
wiki, your clients will be able to view the user profiles of one another
(unless you block access to the XWiki space, which has numerous side
effects). A way to prevent this is to use XWiki Enterprise Manager, to open
one wiki per client (clients having local accounts on those wikis) while
your developers will be global users with access to all subwikis. That would
fit neatly with your use case I believe.

2. I'm trying to get an idea of the support base behind XWiki: does the
> support and development rely on a small number of developers (or only one),
> or on a true community of developers?  I noticed the "XWiki Project Health"
> page is quite out of date (only going up to Nov/07).

Well, since the project is backed by a company (of which I'm part of) that
finances most of the committers you're unlikely to see it disappearing from
one day to the next :-) Right now we've got 10-12 active committers (active
as in one commit per week average) and since all the code is under the LGPL
license you don't risk having us going proprietary anytime soon either.
Basically it's a win-win situation for our users ;-)

We also spend quite a lot of time answering to questions on our users & devs
mailing lists (as you can see).

Additionally, should you ever choose to go for commercial support, you'll
find a bunch of talented people most willing to help you (that's us, the
folks at http://www.xwiki.com/ )

3. We do not currently have Java server experience; will XWiki be easy to
> install/run/manage securely without exposing ourselves and our clients to
> risks out of ignorance of the underlying technology?  Is it inherently more
> secure than using PHP on an Apache webserver (as I have read), or does it
> just come down to security awareness?

I'm not a security expert, all I can tell you is that XWiki is running
internally at companies such as EMC and EADS and their internal teams
haven't shut it down yet, so using the proper configuration making XWiki
secure should not be a problem :-)

> Any comments or additional information would be welcome. Excuse me if I
> have asked questions that are readily available on the website -- I have
> looked through the online documentation but have also evaluated many wikis
> and my eyes are starting to blur.

Let your eyes blur no more - I think XWiki would be a great match for you
(though I'm obviously deeply biased :-).

> Thanks very much,
> Trevor

We're looking forward to your feedback :-)

Guillaume

Guillaume Lerouge
Product Manager - XWiki
Skype: wikibc