Here are the notes I had made while installing the EventCalendar under XEM 1.7
(XE 1.9).  I had intended to update the docs on xwiki.org but haven't.  Let me
know if it helps or not.

Trevor

download xwiki-plugin-calendar-1.0.jar and xwiki-application-calendar-1.0.xar

move the .jar to $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/lib

edit xwiki.cfg, add to "xwiki.plugins":
    com.xpn.xwiki.plugin.calendar.CalendarPlugin

restart Tomcat
login as an Administrator, import the .xar (all 3 classes)

go to http://<url>/xwiki/bin/view/Main/EventCalendar