I'm not familiar using .war files so I had expanded it into webapps/ROOT.  I'm
guessing you either have to expand the .war before making the changes, or
somehow make the changes within the .war.

I should point out that when I said
> move the .jar to $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/lib

that's because I have made XWiki the root Tomcat application (webapps/ROOT).
If you had followed the default install instructions, this would likely be
"webapps/xwiki" (once you've expanded the .war).

Trevor