On 04/28/2010 11:55 PM, Guillaume Lerouge wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 20:15, Sergiu Dumitriu<ser...@xwiki.com>  wrote:
>
>> On 04/28/2010 06:46 PM, Guillaume Lerouge wrote:
>>> I'm strongly against the way the treeview works right now. Nobody
>>> understands the mix of space and parent/child relationship. I'd KISS it,
>>> keeping only the space/page relationship.
>>

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle

I'm going to ignore that.

>> One idea: ghost symlinks.
>>

> "The KISS principle states that
> simplicity<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simplicity>should be a key
> goal in
> design<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design>, and that unnecessary
> complexity should be avoided." Ghost symlinks?
>
> - how does the treeview thing work?
> - well, it's easy, just click the ghost symlink below that other page and
> the whole thing will start scrolling to get you somewhere different from
> where you were located
> - oh
>

>> [s] Main
>>      - [p] WebHome
>>      - [p^] /Blog . WebHome/
>>             - [p] Great news!
>>                   - [p] BigClient contract
>>                   - [p] BigClient project description
>>             - [p] More great news!
>> [s] Blog
>>      - [p] WebHome
>>            - [p] Meet Joe Dyke, our new CTO
>>            - [p^] /Main . Great news!/
>>            - [p^] /Main . More great news!/
>>
>> [s] is the space icon, [p] is the page icon, [p^] is the page icon with
>> the shortcut overlay. The ghost documents are written in italic with a
>> lighter color, and clicking on such a symlink will show the real
>> document, by expanding the tree to it, scroll it into view (with
>> anymation), and select it.
>>
>> Note that in the Main space the other children of the Blog.WebHome page
>> are not displayed, and in the Blog space the deeper hierarchy of the
>> external documents is not shown
>>
>> WDYT?
>>
>> Of course, this as a better UI for the alldocs/tree view; the export UI
>> should could keep just the space/docs two-level hierarchy.
>>

> I think the same, simple, understandable, Space / Page hierarchy should be
> used everywhere.

Even in the hierarchy view that is specifically designed for displaying
the parent-child relations? I'd also like to keep things simple whenever
possible, but then why do we have this tab in the AllDocs? Should we
remove it? Then why do we have the parent field if I cant see the
children of a page?

> An alternative is what we do for WebDAV and provide 2 different interfaces:
> EITHER space/page OR parents/children but never a mix of both.

So how do you explain this?
webdav://localhost/xwiki/webdav/spaces/Blog/_W_/WebHome/Categories/News

--
Sergiu Dumitriu
http://purl.org/net/sergiu/