On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 12:35, Ecaterina Valica <vali...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 23:17, Thomas Mortagne
> <thomas.morta...@xwiki.com>wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 21:55, Ecaterina Valica <vali...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I've made Selective Export Proposal 2 (HTML + CSS)
>> >
>> http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Improvements/MultiExport2Proposal
>> >
>> > This proposal follows more closely existing features from MultiPageExport
>> > application, like:
>> > + Search by title/name/space/tags
>> > + Ordering in the export list (important for HTML and PDF)
>>
>> Why is it important for HTML export ? HTML export produce a different
>> file for each page.
>>

> I don't know for sure, Ludo said that for HTML. I think it's important for
> PDF and RTF, so that you can customize page order for the final file.
>
> The problem with Proposal 2 is that I put the move arrows also for
> Space/Page Tree, but they shouldn't be there, because moving the pages, will
> break/duplicate the hierarchy. The reason I put them is to allow the same
> functionality in all the views, but we better remove them and keep them only
> for List View.
>
> Another problem with Proposal 2 is the initial view for List View:
> http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/MultiExport2Proposal/1.png
> Theoretical, initially there shouldn't be any results in the display
> (because no search has been made). The spaces are added to have consistency
> with the Tree View (when you change to Space/Page all spaces should be
> there). So the idea was to have the same data and the same functionality
> (moving) no matter the view (Space/Page or List), but I think they will be
> better made custom, and remove the spaces from initial display of List View
> (especially if List View will be the default display, and beginner user will
> not understand what they can do with those spaces, how they can navigate
> them).
>
> Problem number 3 :) is automatic change of views depending on the Export
> Type the user selects. The idea is to auto-change the view to "Space/Page
> Tree" when the user chooses XAR Export; or to auto-change the view to "List
> View" when the user selects PDF/RTF export. Is not indicated to mess with
> user preferences (maybe he wants only list view, no matter of export type),
> and should be done only if we agree that that's the best/optimum view for
> that export type.

I think the Selective Export UI proposal should forget about the
current PDF/RTF exporter and go in the direction of PDF/OpenOffice
instead (PDF would probably still use FOP instead of OpenOffice). That
means let use choose between a lot more formats depending if the
openoffice server is connected or not.

> I would like to know your opinion on this 3 problems.
> Thanks,
> Caty
>

>> > *Improvements* from Proposal 1 (
>> >
>> http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Improvements/MultiExportProposal
>> ):
>> >
>> > - separation of "Saved Packages" in another top tab
>> > - Added: "â–¾more ( 18 / 56 results )" when more pages/spaces are displayed
>> > - Added: "reset to defaults" to export options values
>> > - Combined "Package Content" and "Export Options" under "Export documents
>> as
>> > package"
>> > - Changed "Export" button position to top
>> > - Added deletion for saved packages + saving date
>> >
>> > Also, this proposal has 3 modes for pages relationship visualization:
>> > Space/Page Tree, Parent/Child Tree, List View
>> >
>> > Currently MultiPageExport application and XWiki WYSIWYG Search feature
>> uses
>> > "List View" (page title + location) mode to display information. This
>> should
>> > be the default mode to display information: less cryptic, with search you
>> > could find information that you don't know the location. Also the
>> ordering
>> > (moveUp/moveDown) is more natural for HTML/PDF/RTF export, because
>> entries
>> > are independent.
>> >
>> http://localhost:8080/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/MultiExport2Proposal/3.png
>> >
>> > IMO, for export applications (XAR) "List View" is less usable and the the
>> > perfect candidate is "Space/Page Tree" view.
>> >
>> http://localhost:8080/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/MultiExport2Proposal/8.png
>> >
>> > Advanced users that will need "Space/Page Tree" or "Parent/Child Tree"
>> will
>> > have to manually changed the display view and/or the export options, the
>> > others will relay on defaults.
>> >
>> > WDYT?
>> >
>> > Caty
>> >

>> --