On 11/24/2010 04:12 PM, Fabio Mancinelli wrote:
> Hi Caty,
>
> a mail to share my vision about the User Status feature.
>
> The main idea is to have a mechanism for users to broadcast messages
> concerning their activities.
> The key use cases for this are:
>
> 1) Fast communication between enterprise members which can replace IMs
> and mails with user status
> 1.1) Communicate what you are working on

Obvious, +1.

> 1.2) Quick question answering and feedback gathering

You mean something like:

BigBoss says:
   How do we get through the crisis?
Jimmy says:
   @BigBoss reduce costs!
Mike says:
   @BigBoss sell more!

And:

Jimmy says:
   @Timmy where can I get a W80 form?
Timmy says:
   @Jimmy room 404

> 1.3) Interesting  material dissemination

You mean link sharing?

> 2) Focused discussions about a given topic

I'm not sure this is the best way to communicate. It might work if it
behaves a bit like instant messaging, with updates being refreshed in
real time. Also, for it to make sense as a discussion, it should be
threaded. So this starts to look like Google Wave, which somehow failed.
It might work in an intranet, but still it would diverge too much from a
simple status update, and I'm not sure how it can be integrated nicely
inside the current Activity UI (nor the implementation, but that's not
critical).

> 3) Fast communication with external clients to keep them up-to-date

I'm not sure I get this. Isn't an *intra*net supposed to be internal,
inaccessible to external parties?

Do you mean closed group messages, visible only in a given space?

> In order to realize these use cases we need something that resembles
> to Facebook's Wall or, if we look at more enterprise oriented
> products, to SalesForce chatter (http://www.salesforce.com/chatter)

This is getting too far from the initial ideas. It was supposed to be
integrated in the recent activity, as little user messages mixed among
wiki activity. Now it looks like the main goal is user communication,
with wiki activity on the second place. Going the Chatter way would
imply many changes in the ActivityStream implementation, the
{{activity}} macro, and the Recent Activity UI.

I'm not saying we shouldn't try to go there, I'm only asking if we want
to do it as the "User Statuses" sub-feature inside the Activity feature.

> In particular:
>
> 1) The feature should be implemented as an internal subsystem that
> takes advantage of the Wiki underlying model for exposing information

That's always the case.

> 1.1) User status can contain reference to Wiki entities (i.e., page,
> attachments, comments) and external links. As Jerome said in a
> previous email, this is key. An autocompletion mechanism could help
> making this feature more usable.

The full wiki syntax might be available, which includes links to
documents/attachment. If we do that, then should the WYSIWYG be
displayed as well?

> 1.2) I am not sure that we need to provide an upload mechanism to
> associate an artifact to a user status. Linking an attachment in a
> Wiki page is sufficient in my opinion.

+1 for links to existing data only. We could provide a "notify this"
checkbox in the edit/upload UI.

> 2) It should be possible to define one or more "neighborhoods", i.e.,
> people that will receive our status updates

We could have activities for a space, and activities for a group. This
means that in the group UI we could integrate a "say something" widget.

Another idea is a panel which allows you to specify where to post the
update: global (default), current space, specific space (with suggest),
group of users (with suggest), specific user (with suggest).

My fear is that the UI will be too complex, which increases the
likelihood of users abandoning their update. If something takes too much
to accomplish, or there are too many knobs to tinker with, then people
will avoid that.

> 2.1) This is something that is more powerful wrt to what we have in
> Facebook because it would allow us to create different social-graphs
> that can be targeted when a user status is updated
>
> 3) It should be possible to comment on a status update (e.g., quick
> question answering and feedback gathering use case)

Is a simple "reply to this" enough?

> 4) The user status are not tweets... I think that the number of
> character should be limited to a reasonable high threshold (e.g.,
> 2048)

The current activity stream allows for 2000 characters (which usually is
rounded to something more), so this should be OK.

> 5) User statuses should be visible only to the users belonging to the
> "neighborhood" targeted by the status

This can be done at the UI level, but it's going to be hard to protect
it at the API level. We can do it if we change the activitystream plugin
to expose more high level methods, like getEventsForCurrentSpace and
getEventsForCurrentGroup, while keeping the generic methods protected
(as they are now). I don't like this, since it introduces details about
the high-level application inside the low-level platform.

> 6) User statuses could be displayed using an activity stream in the
> user's profile page and also on the home activity stream
> 6.1) The user statuses should also appear in the Workspace home pages.
> In this case they are configured to display the statuses of the
> "neighborhood" implicitly defined by all the members of the workspace.
>
> Feedback is welcome.

So, my two main questions:

1. Do we want to make the "User Statuses" this complex? Or do we
separate into a simple "User Statuses" and a complex
facebook/chatter/wave like application?

2. What are the possible targets of a message?

2.1 Only neighborhoods == XWiki Groups and users
- group:XWiki.XWikiAllGroup
- group:XWiki.R&DGroup
- user:XWiki.johndoe
2.2 Only Wiki, space or page
2.3 Entity references which can target different things, like:
- somewiki
- somewiki:somespace
- somewiki:somespace.somepage
- somewiki:XWiki.somegroup#XWiki.XWikiGroup
- somewiki:XWiki.someuser#XWiki.XWikiUsers

--
Sergiu Dumitriu
http://purl.org/net/sergiu/