Sergiu Dumitriu wrote:
> [...]
>> making this feature more usable.
>>

> The full wiki syntax might be available, which includes links to
> documents/attachment. If we do that, then should the WYSIWYG be
> displayed as well?
>

>> 1.2) I am not sure that we need to provide an upload mechanism to
>> associate an artifact to a user status. Linking an attachment in a
>> Wiki page is sufficient in my opinion.
>>

> +1 for links to existing data only. We could provide a "notify this"
> checkbox in the edit/upload UI.
>

>> 2) It should be possible to define one or more "neighborhoods", i.e.,
>> people that will receive our status updates
>>

> We could have activities for a space, and activities for a group. This
> means that in the group UI we could integrate a "say something" widget.
>
> Another idea is a panel which allows you to specify where to post the
> update: global (default), current space, specific space (with suggest),
> group of users (with suggest), specific user (with suggest).
>
> My fear is that the UI will be too complex, which increases the
> likelihood of users abandoning their update. If something takes too much
> to accomplish, or there are too many knobs to tinker with, then people
> will avoid that.
>

>> 2.1) This is something that is more powerful wrt to what we have in
>> Facebook because it would allow us to create different social-graphs
>> that can be targeted when a user status is updated
>>
>> 3) It should be possible to comment on a status update (e.g., quick
>> question answering and feedback gathering use case)
>>

> Is a simple "reply to this" enough?
>

>> 4) The user status are not tweets... I think that the number of
>> character should be limited to a reasonable high threshold (e.g.,
>> 2048)
>>

> The current activity stream allows for 2000 characters (which usually is
> rounded to something more), so this should be OK.
>

>> 5) User statuses should be visible only to the users belonging to the
>> "neighborhood" targeted by the status
>>

> This can be done at the UI level, but it's going to be hard to protect
> it at the API level. We can do it if we change the activitystream plugin
> to expose more high level methods, like getEventsForCurrentSpace and
> getEventsForCurrentGroup, while keeping the generic methods protected
> (as they are now). I don't like this, since it introduces details about
> the high-level application inside the low-level platform.
>

>> 6) User statuses could be displayed using an activity stream in the
>> user's profile page and also on the home activity stream
>> 6.1) The user statuses should also appear in the Workspace home pages.
>> In this case they are configured to display the statuses of the
>> "neighborhood" implicitly defined by all the members of the workspace.
>>
>> Feedback is welcome.
>>

> So, my two main questions:
>
> 1. Do we want to make the "User Statuses" this complex? Or do we
> separate into a simple "User Statuses" and a complex

I find this related with synchronous vs asynchronous communication.
Sometimes I think that it should be great to have a chat-like
application within XWiki. That way, users teaming around XWiki won't
need any other tool to establish a synchronous communication about a
work going on within XWiki or about any other topic they decide. For
instance, does it make sense to create such a service within XWiki to
allow devs use it instead of using Skype or IRC channels? Is it a matter
of decision to use this external applications or it is a matter of not
having man/woman power to create such an application within XWiki?

I see User Statuses as an advanced asynchronous communication tool
within the XWiki environment.

Thus, I'm more for splitting the applications are having a simple "User
Statuses" and a complex synchronous communication system.

Thanks!

> 2. What are the possible targets of a message?
>
> 2.1 Only neighborhoods == XWiki Groups and users
> - group:XWiki.XWikiAllGroup
> - group:XWiki.R&DGroup
> - user:XWiki.johndoe
> 2.2 Only Wiki, space or page
> 2.3 Entity references which can target different things, like:
> - somewiki
> - somewiki:somespace
> - somewiki:somespace.somepage
> - somewiki:XWiki.somegroup#XWiki.XWikiGroup
> - somewiki:XWiki.someuser#XWiki.XWikiUsers

I do prefer 2.3 option. I'm thinking about XWiki pages representing
resources, a meeting room, for instance. I would like to broadcast
messages to this page on its own and/or an user or one/several groups
users concerned by them.

--
Ricardo Rodríguez
CTO