Shared hosting can be tricky. Logs are really necessary.

I would suggest trying with XE first to make sure the basic XE is
working. This will avoid database specific issues (I think the main DB
should be called 'xwiki' with XEM otherwise there might be some
issues).

Ludovic

Ludovic Dubost
Founder and CEO