On 02/15/2014 05:43 PM, Clemens Robbenhaar wrote:
> On 02/14/2014 04:44 PM, Hamster wrote:
>> I have a problem getting the  D3js example
>> <http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/D3+Example>   to work.
>>
>> I have a fresh XWiki 5.4 running. I have installed the D3js with the EM. I
>> then created a new Space called "D3". I created a page called "D3.Data" and
>> pasted the data from the example. I then edited the "D3.WebHome" and pasted
>> the code to display the graph.
>>
>> But when I click "Save & View", I only get a blank page. F5 (refresh) does
>> nothing. I then edit the page in the WYSIWYG editor...I can see the graph
>> being displayed! I can even use the arrow keys left and right to interact
>> with the graph. But when I hit "Save & View", the graph is NOT being
>> displayed, but part of the velocity code is. If I edit the page in XWiki
>> mode, I can see that some velocity code is now being 'escaped' by XWiki.
>>
>> What am I missing here????
>>

> First thing you are missing is that the extension on the page is just a demo
> for the impatient to view something before even installing something. It
> fetched the javascript
> stuff from the D3 website directly; no need to install the D3js extension to
> run it ;)
>
> Then, indeed the WYSIWYG editor does not handle the code snippet gracefully,
> just opening the editor and saving without editing breaks the thing, there is
> just too many
> inline <script> and other not-best-practice stuff in it it goes crazy and
> damages the thing.
> Using the Wiki-editor is highly recommended for this beast ;)
>
> But these are all side notes ....
>
> What is really puzzeling and what I am starting at for an hour without
> understanding is that the normal view does not show anything.
> All I get is a JavaScript Error "Refercence d3 not defined".
>
> If you look at it in "plain view" it should be ok (same as inside the WYSIWYG
> editor frame):
>
>   http://localhost:8080/xwiki/bin/view/D3/WebHome?xpage=plain
>
> It seems one of the libraries XWiki loads in its normal layout conflicts with
> d3 in some way.

it is actually the "requirejs" that gets upset that soemone tries tio bypass:
  http://requirejs.org/docs/errors.html#mismatch

d3 smells the presence of requirejs and tries to register itself by there,
making it inaccessible via the "fast & dirty" approaches to get things running.

However wrapping the code in a  "require(['d3'], function(d3) { ...});" call
did not work for me either.
Maybe I should really read the documentation to figure out how this works. :D
However not this weekend, sorry

Clemens

> (Installing and using the extension "as advertized" does not work either, as
> the "d3:loaded" event is never fired, btw ..)
>
> Well, that's as far as I got. Only tested with Firefox, however.
>
> Maybe someone else can shed some more light on this.
>
> Clemens

Clemens Klein-Robbenhaar
Software Development
EsPresto AG
Breite Str. 30-31
10178 Berlin/Germany
Tel: +49.(0)30.90 226.763
Fax: +49.(0)30.90 226.760
robbenh...@espresto.com

HRB 77554 B - Berlin-Charlottenburg
Vorstand: Maya Biersack, Peter Biersack
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Dipl.-Wirtsch.-Ing. Winfried Weber
Zertifiziert nach ISO 9001:2008