Hi,
Yes, this surely helps but i fail to get it work as I hope it can.
I have generated a app with App Within Minutes.

In the sheet there is a construct like this:
{{velocity}}
{{html wiki="true"}}
#set ($discard = $doc.use('TestStarRating.TestStarRatingClass'))
#set ($discard = $services.localization.use('document',
'TestStarRating.TestStarRatingTranslations'))
(% class="xform" %)
(((
  ; <label
for="TestStarRating.TestStarRatingClass_0_Rating">$escapetool.xml($doc.displayPrettyName('Rating',
 false, false))</label>
  : $doc.display('Rating')
)))
{{/html}}
{{/velocity}}

:$doc.display(‘Rating’) is ‘smart’ as it knows when in ‘View’ and ‘Edit’ mode.

If I would go to the class and modify Custom Display
How can I keep the ‘smartness’ of $doc.display?

I have the feeling that a velocity script in the custom display does not have
notion of $doc? Or can I use this context variable?

The important change I want to achieve is change the ‘radio button’ behavior’
in a star-rating behavior.
Important is that this should stay visible in Read-mode as the numeric result 3
is less informative as seeing three stars.

I’m inspired by this code:
http://codepen.io/lsirivong/pen/ekBxI

It uses CSS to style radiobuttons as star rating (and a small javascript)
But it requires radiobuttons to stay visible in view mode…

Op 10 jun. 2014, om 14:33 heeft Marius Dumitru Florea
<mariusdumitru.flo...@xwiki.com> het volgende geschreven: