Hi,

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 8:39 PM, Alex Henrie <alexhenri...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I have finished updating the FAQ tutorial.
> > You might need to clear your cache (Ctrl + F5 on most browsers) to see
> the
> > updated screenshots.
> >
> > I have followed the updated tutorial myself and was able to successfully
> > create a FAQ application.
>
> This looks much better, thank you! I was able to successfully complete
> the updated tutorial.
>
> About the XWiki data model: It seems that "document" and "page" are
> synonyms, and every page has:
> - A class definition (a schema for a new type of object, not a schema
> for what kinds of objects the page can have)
> - A bag of objects
> - A string of wikitext
> - A parent
>
> Usually a page will not have all of these. For example, a page that
> has wikitext should probably not have objects attached to it too. But
> it looks like there is nothing to prevent ordinary users from adding
> ?editor=object to the URL and attaching objects to the page anyway.
> Why is it not more restrictive?

There is no such restriction or best practice. It all depends on what that
page is used for and what are the objects inside that page used for as well.

Some objects can be used to mark certain pages. Others can store extra
data: structured content in general (defined in user created xclasses) or
even page comments, tags, etc. Other objects can set the document's rights.
Other objects can specify which is the sheet to apply when viewing or
editing the current document.

The document's content (what you call "A string of wikitext") can have
static content or dynamic content (scripts/code) which can execute either
independently of the objects in the page or by reading some data from those
objects, processing it and/or displaying/presenting it as the (dynamic)
content of the document you are viewing.

There are enough cases when a document has both content and objects, as the
ability to have structured content in your document is a very big plus in
XWiki, compared to some other wiki platforms.

XWiki is a flexible platform and it all comes down to the usecase you are
using it for, i.e. what you want to achieve.

Hope this helps,
Eduard