Hi Edy and all,

On 5 Jan 2016 at 11:52:24, Eduard Moraru
(enygma2...@gmail.com(mailto:enygma2...@gmail.com)) wrote:

> [...]
> start creating new pages as children of that page (e.g.
> "Some.Other.Homepage.NewUserPage"), because that is what the alternative
> would lead to.
>
> The logic behind the original decision of handling the homepage differently
> was that, even as Guillaume was hinting, the homepage is seen as the "root"
> of your wiki. Creating a page from the root should result in creating top
> level pages, not child pages. If you wanted to create a child page of
> something from the homepage, you would explicitly do so by selecting a
> parent. Not selecting a parent while on the homepage would logically imply
> that you want to create a page in the wiki (i.e. top page).
>
> I`m curious why do you find it normal the other way around, i.e. landing on
> the wiki (i.e. not navigating somewhere in particular) + creating a new
> page => resulting in creating a child page of the "Main" page (which
> happens to be the homepage).
>
> If you always create child pages of the homepage ("Main" page), on the long
> run, all your URLs will be /Main/This/Page, /Main/That/Page,
> /Main/That/Other/Page, etc... but ultimately, what is this "Main", and why
> is it that important to drag it along in all your page URLs? (of course,
> again, if you change your homepage to "Some.Other.Homepage", all your urls
> will be prefixed by that!)
>
> = Use case 2 =
>
> Now, another way of looking at this would be that, for some reason, you
> *really* want to keep all your content under some top level page (e.g. as
> Vincent suggested, a "Content" container page), perhaps to separate it from
> applications (which, for historic reasons, currently are also located in
> the top level) like Blog, Sandbox, etc. or any other reason.
>
> The only limitation in this usecase is if you also want to use that
> container page ("Main", "Content", etc.) as your homepage. In this case,
> indeed, I see no other solution but to modify the createinline.vm template
> or for us to drop this behavior altogether.
>
> ---
>
> Conclusion so far:
> We have 2 use cases regarding a new page's parent. They can both coexist,
> except that, in some cases, the 2nd use case is limited by the first use
> case. If we consider this limitation to be a deal breaker, then we are left
> with 2 choices:
> A. Drop use case 1 (i.e. always propose the current page as parent of the
> new page, regardless if the current page is the homepage or not)
> B. Make use case 1 configurable (i.e. enable or disable it completely, in
> case you are suffering from the limitation of the second use case; this
> allows the user to decide if it's useful or not)
>
> Of course, if option B is what we go for, we also need to figure out where
> we would put such a configuration.
>
> I would be in favor of option B (since I obviously believe that use case 1
> is something useful for the majority of cases), but have no idea on the

I agree about what you’ve said above. However I think the main problem comes
from the fact that the user doesn’t know:
* That he’s on a special page (home page). He sees himself/herself on the
Main/WebHome page, i.e. in the Main space.
* The user doesn’t realize that the home page of his/her wiki is a virtual page
that can be configured to point to any page and that it just happens that by
default it’s been set to point to Main.WebHome.
* It can even be argued that the home page doesn’t exist and that the user is
redirected to the page configured in the main wiki’s descriptor, i.e.
Main.WebHome and thus when you click “+” to add a new page you’re not on the
home page anywhere but on Main.WebHome.

So, I see 2 choices:

1) Option A, i.e. "drop use case 1 (i.e. always propose the current page as
parent of the new page, regardless if the current page is the homepage or not)."

2) Find a way to make the home page special and different from Main.WebHome. It
could be a special URL as suggested by Guillaume in a previous post, such as
http://localhost:8080/xwiki/bin/view/ and it would redirect to a special
resource type for the home page, which would be served as a template. For
example: http://localhost:8080/xwiki/home. This would be easy to implement. Of
course we would keep the ability to configure where the home page of the main
wiki points to in the Admin UI and /home would be used only when no custom
configuration is defined so that it would still be easy for users to configure
what they want to display on the home page. In order to make it simpler we
could even introduce a "Home Page” entry in the Admin UI. We would also need to
find some different content for Main.WebHome.

I haven’t thought about all the consequences of 2) but at first sight it seems
it could be something that could work and could even solve the issue we
currently have of it being hard to edit. Note that the home page wouldn’t have
an Edit button. Seen differently, the home page would be controllable only by
an Admin, which IMO can make sense.

So, all in all, I think I’d be in favor of solution 2) (unless some gotchas).
Barring that, I’d prefer solution 1) instead of option B above.

WDYT?