I noticed that the supported version of PostgreSQL for XWiki 8.0 is 9.4.5.
But for 7.4.2 it is 9.5. Is there some significance to this, eg. there is
some function in 8.0 that was found not to work with PostgreSQL 9.5? Or is
this simply an artefact of the testing process? Is there a need to downgrade
PostgreSQL to 9.4.5 if I upgrade XWiki to 8.0?

The database support strategy page could be interpreted to indicate that all
PostgreSQL 9.x releases are supported. But I find it hard to believe that
you would be that generous (9.0 has reached its end of life milestone and
9.1 is almost there).