At 27 08 04, 04:02 PM, mavi fibe wrote:
Why keep fighting?  That's the conclusion I arrived at
with this incredibly stupid decision.  If the ones who
were at the forefront of bringing progress to the US
when it comes to the SI system gave up, what else can
ANYONE, realistically do???

Forget it!... I give up.

Marcus, I would be discouraged too if I believed as you do -- that it is the government (e.g., CalTrans) at the ". . . forefront of bring progress to the US . . .." Should I have waited to metricate my company until some bozo politician told me (or forced me) to do so?

There is metrication going on in the US, and (with the exception of our metric armed forces) it is PRIMARILY being done by private companies. And it will continue to be done by private companies until the bozo politicians see the political winds supporting metric enough that they want to jump on the bandwagon (and pretend to be "leaders").

Government is the FOLLOWER not the LEADER in metrication.

In another email you dismiss Don Hillger's note about 425 mL bottles, because it is not "rational" metric. Yet, "rational" sizes have nothing to do with metric.

I open my desk drawer and pull out four low-carb candy bars. They have all been purchased in the last few weeks, and they are labeled thusly:

        Net Wt 1.4 oz (40g)
        Net Wt 0.9 oz (25g)
        Net Wt 1.58 oz (45g)
        Net Wt 2.11 oz (60g)

Now, Marcus, you can be a pessimist if you want because they are not in your "rational" sizes (50 g?), but the fact is clear to me that even consumer-product manufacturers ARE starting to move toward metric packaging in the USA.

I have in the corner of my office a case of bottled water and another case of flavored water -- all in 500 mL sizes. Just this morning I had to find a screw to a Rival Crockpot handle that came off and went down the drain. Turns out it was an M6 screw.

Marcus, how far do we have to get before you admit to any progress?

Jim

Jim Elwell, CAMS Electrical Engineer Industrial manufacturing manager Salt Lake City, Utah, USA www.qsicorp.com