>My point was not that I am advocating that all Americans should change to
>the 'metre' spelling but rather the use of two different spellings comes to
>us all at a considerable cost.

But is this cost really necessary ?  The most important point about the
differences between American and British spelling is that the words are
still mutually intelligible.  We can see the spelling differences, but we
know exactly what is being meant.  In all the discussion forums I take part
in which contain a mix of English speaking Americans & non-Americans, I
have never seen a case where spelling causing confusion (apart from the
occasional idiot who will try to insist that one is 'right' and the other
'wrong').

A far greater impediment is where totally different words are used, e.g.
car parts trunk [boot], hood [bonnet], muffler [silencer], fender [bumper],
or where the same word means something entirely different e.g. biscuit,
chips.  This has by far the potential to cause genuine confusion, and
requires much more editorial effort to protect against.  In comparison,
trying to standardize (or even standardise) on spelling would make little
or no difference.

As for the metric issue, the spelling and  pronunciation of the unit
words (not the symbols) vary between languages and dialects.  Thus if
confusion is to be avoided, the symbols should be used in articles rather
than the names.

Finally, the object of this group is to promote the greater use of
metric worldwide, particularly in the US.  One of the main obstacles is
the perception that metric is something 'foreign' being pushed on them.
Trying to push British or French spelling conventions on metric units
will simply reinforce this perception, and make metric conversion
harder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_and_British_English_differences

Tom Wade                 | EMail: tee dot wade at eurokom dot ie
EuroKom                  | Tel:   +353 (1) 296-9696
A2, Nutgrove Office Park | Fax:   +353 (1) 296-9697
Rathfarnham              | Disclaimer:  This is not a disclaimer
Dublin 14                | Tip:   "Friends don't let friends do Unix !"
Ireland