From: James Frysinger <j...@metricmethods.com>
To: U.S. Metric Association <usma@colostate.edu>
Cc: U.S. Metric Association <usma@colostate.edu>
Sent: Monday, February 23, 2009 7:11:00 PM
Subject: [USMA:43249] Re: discussion of Food Marketing Institute objections to
metric-only labeling option

The amount of force exerted is directly proportional to the mass of the object
being weighed on a scale. It is also directly proportional to the local value
for the acceleration due to gravity (roughly 9.8 N/kg or 9..8 m/s2) The readout
is inscribed or computed to read out in units of mass. Moving a scale from one
location to another may require require recalibration of that marked-up scale
or computation in the case of high-accuracy scales, due to differences in the
local value for the acceleration due to gravity. W=mg

Jim

Carleton MacDonald wrote:
> When you buy something in the produce department you put it on the scale,
> which measures the force that gravity exerts on what you are buying ...
>
> Carleton

-- James R. Frysinger
632 Stony Point Mountain Road
Doyle, TN 38559-3030