It is harder to keep from spilling the milk with this design.  There is also
a seal across the opening, which, after you unscrew the top, has to be
peeled off.

The reason they went to this design was that it doesn't have the open space
at the top the old jugs did; as a result, while the height is about the
same, the other dimensions are smaller.  Thus, more fit on a pallet, and the
pallet can be stacked higher because the bottles are stronger and will hold
the greater [I hesitate to use the word] of the layers above.

Also, a number of years ago, Costco got away from regional brands (the one
around here was Shenandoah) in favor of their national brand, Kirkland (from
the town in Washington state where their headquarters is).

My guess is that this bottle is some kind of industry standard that can be
either 4-liter or 1-gallon, depending on what the dairy wants to put in it.

Carleton