I made a point of checking my supermarket milk (in the frig) and the milk at
Costco while I shopped today.  Here in Michigan both are labeled 1 GAL / 3.78 L
and have a nutrition label exactly like any other food regulated under FPLA and
the nutrition label requirements.  However, I suppose it could be under UPLR or
even similar State requirements.  If State requirements, then there is a "50
States = 50 Ways" problem.

On the Costco milk, the net contents is printed on the label.  On the
supermarket milk it is stamped into the plastic container and a little hard to
read unless you turn the bottle correctly.

I still believe they could fill to 4 L if they wanted too.