This is the fight illustrated, Carleton. Healthcare professionals use units in
an entirely utilitarian manner.  Milligrams and grams are required of them, but
kilograms as a practical measure are not, because, in the U.S., the measurement
culture still requires pounds. Oh, sure, we talk of mg/kg doses, but we will
oftent take the pounds figure and divide it by 2.2 to get the kilogram number.
The grumble you mention has got to be an American grumble. At least you made
him think.

Last year, the Joint Commission set a guideline that, as a precaution, all
PEDIATRIC patients should be weighed in kilograms. I immediately wrote JC
protesting that patients of ALL ages deserve the same safety, and should be
weighed in kilograms only regardless of age.

Paul

--

Paul Trusten, R.Ph.
Public Relations Director