They use DPI

Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 08:00:19 -0700
From: jeremiahmacgre...@rocketmail.com
Subject: [USMA:43880] Re: Tyre (tire) sizes
To: usma@colostate.edu

Strange how plotters and printers are not on the same page.  I remember the old
ink plotters that had pen widths in millimeters.  One size was 0.35 mm.  Even
mechanical pencils have their lead sized in rounded metric.  Always was that
way.

With laser and ink jet printers common, one would think the dot size would be
naturally be in millimeters.  Isn't it?

Jerry