Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 07:52:19 -0700
From: jeremiahmacgre...@rocketmail.com
Subject: [USMA:44192] RE: Caribbean
To: usma@colostate.edu

Martin,
I posted some links earlier that described metrication in some parts of the
Caribbean.  When you look at the bigger picture you will see that the English
areas of the Caribbean have a history of imperial usage.  So there is no doubt
some of the imperial names will persist.
The populations of most of these islands is smaller then most medium cities in
the Europe or the UK.  The economies of these islands tends to be mostly
tourism, banking or agriculture.  Industries less likely to benefit from
metrication.  Anything industrial is imported from metric countries, thus a
knowledge of metric is required to operate and maintain the metric equipment.
The populations  of most of the islands consists of either
 rich owners and managers and the poor working class.  The middle class as you
know it is very small.
Some of the islands are trying to improve their economies by diversifying.
This is where they see a need for metrication.  I think your experiences with
Africa parallel those of the Caribbean.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_the_Caribbean
http://caribbean-guide.info/past.and.present/economy/
http://www.converge.org.nz/pma/povcarib.htm