You haven't been to the caribbean then?

Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 08:45:36 -0700
From: jeremiahmacgre...@rocketmail.com
Subject: Re: [USMA:44145] RE: Caribbean
To: barkatf...@hotmail.com; usma@colostate.edu

One point that needs to be addressed here is what is meant by mixed.  Mixed
doesn't mean much unless we can state how much of each item is represented in
the mixture.
I'm sure no matter where you go in the world, you will find a mixture of metric
and pre-metric.  But upon closer examination the mixture would be 90 % metric
and 10 % pre-metric.  The pre-metric is most likely almost hidden from view and
one has to look very deep to find it.
I'm sure Pat can tell us that the pint is still spoken in pubs in Australia,
but no one would use it to mean a specific amount and thus the term has become
generic.  Also consider Europe (and possibly elsewhere) where the pound is just
a another name for 500 g.  The same is obviously true of all
 pre-metric units.  The names survive, but there is no real substance behind
the names.
Jerry