Well, there goes the imperial paradise!  I knew it was too good to be true.
What else about Barbados is metric?

Jerry

________________________________
From: Stephen Humphreys <barkatf...@hotmail.com>
To: U.S. Metric Association <usma@colostate.edu>
Sent: Sunday, March 29, 2009 2:19:05 PM
Subject: [USMA:44205] RE: Caribbean

Agreed.

However - coming from the UK the cost to fill up the tank was enough to make
smile whether it be a US *or* UK gallon!!! :-)

BTW - Barbados pumps are in litres.

________________________________
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 12:25:58 -0400
From: spam.t...@verizon.net
To: usma@colostate.edu
Subject: [USMA:44197] RE: Caribbean

One of the more confusing items of measurement in the British Caribbean
is the units in which petrol (gasoline) is sold.  With few exceptions,
pumps are metered in gallons but it is not clear whether the gallon is
the UK or the US one.  And of course there is quite a difference in
size which in turn has a significant impact on the amount of money you
pay when the price is around $6 per gallon.

At most service stations I ask which gallon is being dispensed.  I have
yet to receive a reply more informative than a shrug.

If you buy milk, the units of sale are occasionally litres but far more
frequently, the US gallon and fractions thereof.

Stephen Humphreys wrote:
Most areas of the caribbean I mentioned are frequented most
by Brits (except the Bahamas).  Canadians make up the next group then
Americans and finally Europeans.

Watching the planes coming in across the south coast of Barbados
is a give away - 2 Virgin 747's a couple of long haul BA Boeings and
several charters - then the 3 or 4 Air Canada flights followed by a few
American Airways flights daily.

Except for the Bahamas the areas of the Caribbean I mention are
very 'British'.

I suggest that the measurement usage (which, by the way,
probably ranks quite lowly as a major concern in paradise) is due to
British influence and US goods (the supermarkets tend to use local and
US produce - so you see the familiar US packaging).

BTW - it's also one of those areas where countries are
'officially metric but practically imperial' - very like the UK.  There
are loads of examples - enough to bore the hell out of you!!! ;-)