In terms of progress, I have just come across a Julia Child cookbook that my other half brought back from the US when she lived there. Title: Julia Child & More Company. Publication 1979 - 30 years ago. The entire book, some 250 pages, has every single recipe in both USC and metric measures. Sample: 'Set pan so that surface of meat is 3 inches (8 cm) from heat source.' I find this book quite remarkable for its forward thinking in terms of metric. How much progress have we made since then? Are today's cookbooks in the US dual measured?

John F-L

----- Original Message ----- From: "Harry Wyeth" <hbwy...@earthlink.net>
To: "U.S. Metric Association" <usma@colostate.edu>
Cc: "U.S. Metric Association" <usma@colostate.edu>
Sent: Monday, May 04, 2009 5:11 AM
Subject: [USMA:45010] Jerry's comments

Well, Jerry does make a point (I just wish he would limit his postings to good points), which is that although we (the USMA) has been around a long time, we ARE NOT making much progress. We can talk a lot, but no one really knows about us and popular knowledge/support for metrication in the US is pretty pathetic. I know that there is a lot of "hidden metric", but when it comes to everyday encounters and activities by the average citizen, there very limited progress.

Contrary to what he writes, however, is is not at all easy to change this state of affairs. I have said for years that real metrication will not occur here without top-down leadership. That means from the White House. I don't see the US declining into a state of "poverty and struggle", but our influence has been declining for years and will continue to do so. Non-metrication is just one part of that decline.

HARRY WYETH