Unfortunately I agree with you.  The Arizona highway people, all the highway
departments in the USA that reverted from metric to English measure, and the
NASA people, no doubt believe that the USA will NEVER go metric.  They are
reverting because of whining from contractors who have political clout, and
they firmly believe that this reversion, and the use of English measure, will
go on forever.

This administration, and this Democratic Congress, is politically the most
likely to ever carry out the final metrication process.  They have promoted
change and have promoted America becoming more a partner in the world, and
their supporters (which includes me) are those more likely to be in favor of
metrication (I know pretty much every one of my friends and acquaintances
thinks that way – they all wonder why it wasn’t done years ago).  If they don’t
do it, no future administration will.

The way the US Congress works (easy to hinder things, hard to pass things), the
whole “State’s Rights” situation here that doesn’t exist in many other places,
the radio talk show babblers, and the whole army of whiners who just hate
change, all make me rather pessimistic that anything will ever be done.

Carleton