  From: Phil Chernack
  To: U.S. Metric Association
  Sent: 09 Jun 01, Monday 09:35
  Subject: [USMA:45164] Re: NASA Going English

  I think that NASA did not do a good job of explaining what is really going on
here.  The case is simple: they are reusing the Apollo technology to accelerate
this program.  Apollo, as you know was done in customary measurement.  To start
to reengineer all of that data and design work to SI would be cost-prohibitive
and extend development time far beyond what is reasonable.  If this was
explained up front, we might all be a little more (albiet grudingly) accepting
of it.

  In the long run, it is in NASA's best interest to go SI and I believe they
will.  I also believe in the long run, the country as a whole will get there.
We may seem to be taking steps back from time to time but overall, we are
progressing towards metric.  Maybe one day soon, we will get the impetus we
need to make a giant leap forward.

  Phil