From: vliets...@btinternet.com
To: barkatf...@hotmail.com; usma@colostate.edu
Subject: RE: [USMA:46745] Re: babies produced, UK
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 21:10:59 +0000

It might interest readers to know that the
matter of hospital scales was debated in the British House of Lords this
week.  A full transcript of the debate can be found at
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld200910/ldhansrd/text/100225-0001.htm#10022584000562.
 One of the important comments was “Does she [the minister] further
understand that last year, LACORS, the Local Authorities Co-ordinators of
Regulatory Services, carried out a major survey that found that 30 per cent of
weighing machines in hospitals were switchable between metric and imperial
units and that a staggering 10 per cent were permanently switched to imperial
units only?”  Steve, since
the surgeon and midwife who delivered your son discussed his weight in imperial
units, would this place the hospital in the 10% who keep their scales
permanently switched to imperial units?  For the sake of your family’s
health I trust not – such action are indicative of poor management.

The following comment was also made: “Is
she aware that the importance of this topic relates to the fact that the dosage
of many powerful drugs is now calculated according to the weight in kilograms
of the recipient? If, in error, such a calculation used imperial units, there
would be a serious risk of under-dosage or, more importantly, major
over-dosage”. The Government will be issuing a statement shortly on the matter
– I only trust that hospitals will take heed of the advise and not wait
to be rapped over the knuckles by a coroner following in incorrect dosage
caused for instance by a the scales reading 11 stone 4 lbs and somebody
recording that as 114 kg.  (For the record 11 st 4 lbs is 71 kg).

Comment sponsored by the UKMA can be found
at http://www.metricviews.org.uk.