Thanks for that, Stephen, so car engines are commonly quoted in metric (cc),
the nuts & bolts are metric (mm) and petrol/diesel is dispensed in metric (l) .
 Being a car 'nut' and avid fan (I have a collection of 5 very different ones)
I now feel like I've learned something new.

From: stevo.da...@btinternet.com
To: usma@colostate.edu
Subject: [USMA:47140] RE: Decimal currency & Metrication
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 19:25:28 +0100

Cars
All
cars in the world (including all those in the USA) have been fully metric since
the development of interchangeable parts for the "world car concept" in the
early 1970s. Every modern family car has (about) 10 000 separate parts,
each of which requires (say) 10 measurements. All cars have been measured some
100 000 times — using metric measures — often to the nearest 100
micrometres (1 micrometre is a millionth of a metre, it is also a thousandth of
a millimetre, and is sometimes referred to as a micron, although micrometre is
the preferred unit name).

Petrol and diesel fuel has been sold in litres for many years, making price
comparisons very easy over time, and in comparison with other countries. In
October 2004, when petrol cost around 80 pence per litre in the UK, it was
costing only 30 pence per litre in the Middle-eastern country of Jordan.

Engine sizes have always been measured in cubic centimetres and litres. A
typical engine size for a small car would be 1000 cc, which is also 1 litre,
for
a mid-size car around 1400 cc, which is 1.4 L, and for a larger car it might be
2000 cc, which is 2 litres. This capacity is not the actual size of the engine,
but rather it refers to the the displacement or swept volume by the pistons of
the engine (the total volume of air/fuel mixture an engine can draw in during
one complete engine cycle, as the pistons are moved from top dead centre to
bottom dead centre).

http://thinkmetric.org.uk/everyday.html

Fourth time lucky!  Again....endless apologies if other
listserver members have has this post trpeated as infinitum!!

Regards,

 Steve.

stevo.da...@btinternet.com