On 2010/04/15, at 02:30 , Tom Wade wrote:

They may produce more types of coin, but using coins that approximate to doubling each value gives an overall less number of coins (on average) to produce any quantity between 1 & 100.

As an exercise, list out all the quantities between 1 & 99 and compute how many American and European coins are needed for each quantity.

Some European countries (e.g. Finland) don't use 1 & 2c coins, but I think this is an awful idea, as now everything has to be rounded up or down when getting change.

Can't speak for the British ones (although they have to be better than the pre-decimal ones which came in varied odd sizes - all very big), but the euro ones are quite logical in size. *Within each metal type* the value of the coin increases with size. The overall sizes were certainly smaller than what we used to have (less strain on the pocket) too.

Incidentally, which is bigger: the American 5c or 10c :-; ?

Tom Wade

Dear Tom and All,

The first decimal currency for the USA was developed and promoted by Thomas Jefferson who then had to gain the support of George Washington to get it through the Congress. The decimal idea was familiar to both Jefferson and Washington as they were both surveyors in their early lives so they knew the ease of calculations when they used Gunter's chain – with 100 links per chain length – for land measurement. Later, they were practically supported by Benjamin Franklin who designed, engraved, and made the first coins on behalf of the government. See http://metricationmatters.com/docs/USAMetricSystemHistory.pdf for a few details of this history.

It is an interesting thought that to get the radical new decimal currency idea through the congress a compromise had to be made to supporters of the halves, quarters, eighths, and sixteenths money divisions. The net result is that the USA still has a dollar that is not only decimally divided but also divided by half-dollars and quarter-dollars. I have no evidence for this – it is only my conjecture.

I am reasonably sure that Thomas Jefferson developed his initial ideas for a decimal currency based on Simon Stevin's 1585 book with the title (translated into the English of 1608) of 'Disme: The Art of Tenths, or Decimall Arithmetike'. My suspicion is that the name of the ten cent coin in the USA, dime, is derived from the title of Simon Stevin's book. I have investigated details of Thomas Jefferson's library at his home, Monticello, and in the Library of Congress and I know that he owned a copy of Stevins' book.

Following the success of the decimal currency in the USA almost all other nations have now followed their example.
Cheers,

Pat Naughtin
Author of the ebook, Metrication Leaders Guide, that you can obtain from http://metricationmatters.com/MetricationLeadersGuideInfo.html
PO Box 305 Belmont 3216,
Geelong, Australia
Phone: 61 3 5241 2008

Metric system consultant, writer, and speaker, Pat Naughtin, has helped thousands of people and hundreds of companies upgrade to the modern metric system smoothly, quickly, and so economically that they now save thousands each year when buying, processing, or selling for their businesses. Pat provides services and resources for many different trades, crafts, and professions for commercial, industrial and government metrication leaders in Asia, Europe, and in the USA. Pat's clients include the Australian Government, Google, NASA, NIST, and the metric associations of Canada, the UK, and the USA. See http://www.metricationmatters.com for more metrication information, contact Pat at pat.naugh...@metricationmatters.com or to get the free 'Metrication matters' newsletter go to: http://www.metricationmatters.com/newsletter to subscribe.