The email address to the USMA listserver hasn't been slightly changed, has it?
About three or four of my previous posts seem to have disappeared into the
ether!
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Andrew Winn
  To: U.S. Metric Association
  Cc: U.S. Metric Association
  Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2010 9:42 PM
  Subject: [USMA:47138] RE: Decimal currency & Metrication

  The reason we have the dollar coin is to replace the dollar bill.  They tried
with the Sacagawea dollar and now they have the new presidential dollar coins.
However, they did not stop printing the dollar bill and the coins have failed
to catch on and that's why we have this mess.

  Also we don't have the dollar coin for those who prefer it.  I've never been
asked whether I want my change in dollar coins or dollar bills.  They just give
me dollar bills.  It's not really a choice then for those of us who prefer
dollar coins.  We would have to go to the bank and ask for them specifically or
get them directly from the mint.  That's why I use dollar bills, but I would
prefer the coins.

  The dollar bill costs less to produce than the dollar coin, but the dollar
bill lasts for less than 2 years before it has to be replaced whereas a dollar
coin could last for decades.  So really in the long run it would be cheaper to
produce only dollar coins.

  And if the government were serious about switching to the one dollar coin it
should introduce a two dollar coin like they have in Canada and nearly every
other country. And to lighten the load even further, the government should
start withdrawing our low value coins like the penny and nickel.

  - Andrew Winn

  On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 3:21 PM, John M. Steele <jmsteele9...@sbcglobal.net>